Lead Generation is an advanced marketing tool which, if implemented in the correct manner, can significantly contribute to the success of a business . In more direct terms, a well-crafted Lead Generation path allows you to generate potential customers for your company .
In this short guide we aim to explain what Lead Generation is exactly , what it entails and what benefits it can bring to your marketing project.
What is Lead Generation
We can define Lead Generation as the set of marketing activities that aim to generate contacts which, by their nature and characteristics, can then be transformed into active customers of a company thanks to specific commercial actions. In practice, Lead Generation generates potential customers who can become real and loyal at a later stage, namely the sales stage.
In the context of advanced digital marketing strategies , both aimed at SMEs and large companies, Lead Generation is now a fundamental component and is achieved through the correct marketing mix of web and social media tools : from email marketing to landing pages, from social media management to content marketing, there are many actions that can work in synergy to produce qualified contacts for companies. What is important is being able to find the right “recipe” for each project.
Basically, Lead Generation is nothing more than that marketing process made up of initiatives that aim to identify, attract and collect sensitive users who are interested in your services or products. These users will spontaneously leave their data to receive more information or be contacted and learn more about what you have to offer: they will therefore become prospects . It is at this point, when they will be susceptible to commercial action, that they will turn into leads . Finally, once one or more purchases have been made, they will be identifiable customers or, if particularly satisfied, even promoters of your brand.
The most used techniques in Lead Generation
As we have mentioned, a successful Lead Generation is based on a correct marketing mix – that is a set of resources and tools – which is calibrated according to the project and the client. This means that virtually every Lead Generation project is unique and different from all the others .
The tools and techniques that can help generate leads for your company are numerous and highly variable, but the main ones certainly include:
- Content Marketing : involves the creation of valuable content that highlights, explores or even solves specific user problems, generating, at the same time, an increase in the value of the brand (Brand Reputation) and its knowledge / diffusion (Brand Awareness). In particular, Content Marketing is declined on corporate blogs which, unlike the excessive self-referentiality of the past, are now exceptional tools for one-to-one communication with the user, because they identify and understand his need and research and provide answers. According to Hubsppot, corporate blogs offer websites over 400% more pages indexed on search engines.
- Contact forms : whether they are located within website pages or landing pages, contact forms can be an exceptional lead generation vehicle, especially when well created from a graphic and textual point of view. It goes without saying that the user will tend to fill out a form only if you provide him with valuable content, and therefore you will offer him an advantage or a real resource that will lead him to want to know you better.
- Email Marketing : contrary to common belief, this marketing tool is experiencing a sort of second youth thanks to more advanced automation systems that generate efficient and performing workflows. Compared to the past, when the newsletter was sent in a generic and poorly targeted way, the current Email Marketing is calibrated, attentive, never annoying, and above all calibrated on the exact needs of the users it affects.
- Premium content : tutorials, insights, downloadable content such as white papers or ebooks, webinars, podcasts are just some of the many premium content that is now possible to deliver to users as a “reward” for certain actions (for example, subscribing to a newsletter). These contents must of course be really interesting, well made, and capable of bringing concrete value. They will also be provided in a very punctual and specific way with the support of adequate Marketing Automation tools.
- SEO : optimization for search engines never goes out of fashion but, compared to the past in which it was perceived almost as a panacea for all ills, today it works in synergy with many other tools to guarantee an increase in leads to companies. Doing SEO, we remember, means operating in the front-end and back-end on the website to make sure that search engines such as Google recognize it and position it for specific search keywords, to be proposed to users who query the engine according to certain queries. .
- Social Media : many and very different from each other, they will be defined and calibrated on the characteristics and needs of each user. The project may include Management activities, with drafting of editorial plans and conversation calendar, interaction with users and live videos or real-time actions, but also Advertising activities on native platforms.
Other ingredients that can be included in the marketing mix for a Lead Generation project also include pop-ups, specific landing pages, chatboxes, opt-in and reserved areas on the site, contests and contests, AdWords campaigns.
What are the benefits of lead generation?
Finally, what are the advantages that Lead Generation can offer to companies , and in particular to SMEs or even micro-enterprises?
Here are the main ones:
- Better results than traditional marketing campaigns
- More accurate selection of initial contacts (i.e. generation of quality leads, understood as genuinely interested in your product or service)
- Cost monitoring of individual marketing activities
- Measurability of results thanks to advanced monitoring systems
- More accurate control of lead status (cold, warm, hot)
- Increase in Brand Awareness and Brand Reputation
- Increase of virtuous communications with potential and existing customers
- Increase in consumer loyalty and word of mouth
- Optimization of marketing actions and, consequently, of the investment
- Increase in turnover