Lightning strikes, stretches, glitter stripes, pregnancy marks, or just stretch marks, whatever you call them, those marks can be annoying. Most of these unsightly marks start appearing during pregnancy and may cover the abdomen, thighs, and hips. They became prominent during the last trimester. The good thing is that these marks can be treated with a stretch marks removal cream and here’s why you should opt for one today!
Stretch marks are not painful, but they may still hurt your appearance by being a cosmetic concern. Around 90% of women get these unsightly marks at the onset of their motherhood. Obviously, they try their best to get rid of them without hurting their respective skincare routines.
But no matter how much you try, stretch marks would almost never go away on their own. You may thus have to try something to reduce them using some specialized skin care products. In this blog, we will discuss the causes of stretch marks, ways to get rid of them and find out which stretch marks cream is the most effective at removing them. Stay with us as we take you along!
What are stretch marks?
Stretch marks are scars that appear when your skin rapidly shrinks or stretches. When collagen and elastin in the skin’s cell layers experience rapid growth (during weight gain or pregnancy), they may tear up. This development is visible as multiple lines run on the top of the epidermal layer of the skin. These lines or marks may become prominent with time if not treated properly, though some may also dissolve on their own.
Did you know? You might notice a little indentation on your skin when you touch them. Stretch marks also result in sore or itchy skin.
Note: Many people confuse stretch marks with scars and hyperpigmentation. The former mainly occurs during the overproduction of collagen or a wound’s healing process. They may also occur when the skin undergoes rapid stretching. Hyperpigmentation relates to an overproduction of melanin in the skin cells, resulting in discoloration. It is triggered by prolonged exposure to the sun’s UV rays.
While you may feel swamped with stretch marks appearing on your body, there’s something you need to learn right off the bat – stretch mark creams are the most effective and easy option to eliminate these unsightly marks.
What may cause stretch marks?
Stretch marks can appear for a variety of reasons, and these may include:
- Rapid changes in your weight ( men and women equally are susceptible to getting stretch marks for this reason)
- An elevated level of cortisone, a hormone naturally produced by adrenal glands. Too much cortisone can reduce skin elasticity.
- Growth during teenage years
- Breast implant surgery
- Excessive workouts can also lead you to stretch marks on the areas where muscles bulge.
- Excess intake of steroids also results in stretch marks on the body.
- Temporarily, some medical conditions may also cause marks on the body.
- Genetically predisposition is also a cause of developing stretch marks.
How to get rid of stretch marks?
Many products and procedures can help minimize stretch marks, and these may include:
- Moisturizer: Many moisturizers can help deal with stretch marks and signs. You can also use aloe vera gel to treat stretch marks. To do this, massage the gel on your skin gently for 3-4 minutes and let it stay for 20-40 minutes. Or you can also use moisturizer enriched with cocoa butter or shea butter on areas with stretch marks over several weeks.
- Self-tanning lotion: As per the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), using self-tanning lotion on the stretch marks prone area can make a difference between your skin color and the color of stretch marks for the time being.
- Stretch mark creams: Topical application of mark creams can make noticeable changes in your stretch marks appearance. Always look for creams with hyaluronic acid and tretinoin (a synthetic version of vitamin A) for best results.
Do stretch mark creams work?
Skin experts recommend using mark creams to improve red or purple lines on the skin to an extent. These creams help with collagen synthesis and promote new skin growth. You can also use home remedies or other preventative measures to eliminate pregnancy marks.
New stretch marks can be more responsive to stretch mark creams or prescription creams. If you have just started to develop those marks on your body, you can use these creams. But don’t be tempted in the first place, as there is no 100% solution to stretch marks.
Which is the best stretch mark cream?
Some mark creams are better than others because of the different formulations they come packed with. Asia’s first Made Safe certified brand, Mamaearth offers anti-aging, pigmentation and stretch mark creams. They are made with natural and toxin-free ingredients and are thus safe for regular use. These creams do not have harsh chemicals or toxins like sulfates, minerals, artificial dyes, or loud fragrances.
Mamaearth’s Body Crème with Shea Butter, Peptides, and Milk Protein
Mamaearth’s Body Crème with Shea Butter, Peptides, and Milk Protein helps smoothen skin roughness and reduce the presence of those unsightly marks. This gel-based cream is enriched with the goodness of Shea Butter, Virgin Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and Calendula Oil. This stretch marks cream deeply moisturizes skin and creates a moisture barrier against seasonal dryness. It also reduces the appearance of red or purple lines on your body.
Milk Protein: This nourishing ingredient calms down irritated or dry skin. It seals in moisture to the skin and restores the skin texture.
Peptides: Helpful in collagen synthesis, this ingredient restores the skin’s elasticity. It promotes faster healing of your skin.
Shea Butter: This moisturizing agent helps ward off signs of stretch marks. It can prevent new stretch marks from forming while correcting skin damage.
Stretch marks are highly persistent in women and men both. There is no sure trick to address marks but stretch mark creams can be helpful in skin healing. Most of the time, marks go on their own, but if you feel uneasy with their existence, maybe it’s time to amp up your skincare routine. Opting for a safe and gentle skincare product could surely help get started on a positive note!